To ensure the safety and well-being of their patients, healthcare organizations must foster an environment that values incident analysis and resolution.
It is this improved and regular examination of patient safety incidents and protocols that helps healthcare organizations provide a safe and reliable setting for their patients.
When it comes to matters of patient safety, it is vital that healthcare providers always evaluate their practices to establish timely, effective, and compelling solutions. Patient safety incidents range in severity, and each comes with its own set of complications and contributing factors. When handled appropriately, incidents not only can be resolved to prevent future occurrences, but also be used as invaluable learning tools to augment practices and staff understanding.
Datix Cloud IQ is based around an understanding that in order to resolve patient safety incidents, they must be examined precisely and in a cyclical format. Datix Cloud IQ uses five essential toolkits (capture, evaluate, strategy, implement, and assess) that all support one another and are designed to provide more thorough and comprehensive analyses. Below is a breakdown of these toolkits and how each plays an integral role in providing swift and efficient solutions for all manner of safety incidents, regardless of their cause or severity.
- Capture: During the capture stage, all pertinent information surrounding a patient safety incident is gathered for review. This information includes, but is not limited to, patient feedback, claims, and mortality review. Once collected, this information is uploaded to a shared database for evaluation.
- Evaluate: Once information is gathered, it is then closely evaluated to uncover themes, patterns, and any contributing factors that might help in resolving the incident. During this step, recommendations for moving forward are presented and acted on.
- Strategy: Once a plan has been established to move forward, the strategy stage acts as a clinical audit of all relevant information. This stage helps ensure that the information gathered is essential for the settlement of the incident.
- Implement: As it suggests, the implement stage is when plans of action are carried out to make positive changes and reveal incident causes. This stage requires proper planning (provided through the earlier stages) to help ease and streamline the process.
- Assess: This final stage is evaluating the results of the implementation process. If the implementation was successful, then all information is gathered and saved for use in future incidents. If the implementation process proves unsuccessful, the entire five-step process repeats itself, providing any useful information found throughout the assessment stage.
To find out more about Datix Cloud IQ and how this approach to patient safety incidents can transform your safety protocols, contact Datix today.